Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Great Wall, Olympic Park, Daoist Temple, Acrobat Show

The magnificent beauty of the Great Wall of China is not to be compared. Even through the cold temperatures and wind, it’s shocking how great the Great Wall really is. The way the mountains just roll on for miles makes everything look layered and divine. As if I’m looking at a painting. After we climbed up to one of the many high points on the wall, I stood up, took a deep, cleansing breath of fresh mountain air, and just took in all the beauty around me for as long as possible. This day was unforgettable.
                What’s a bit humorous about what I just described above is that the Great Wall of China turned out to be a failure. It didn’t keep anyone out and it didn’t make anyone safer. While we look at the wall as a brilliant part of history and culture, I did wonder to myself, why are we celebrating a wall? Donald Trump was elected the US President (yes, I am slowly able to admit this to myself a little bit more everyday) because he promised to build a wall to keep the bad people out. But I see no joy or comfort in building walls. I believe in building bridges instead.
                The Acrobat show was also something to behold. I was expecting the Chinese version of the Jessie White Tumblers but was surprised to see how much more influenced this show was by Chinese culture. From the outfits to the dances, culture was intertwined throughout the show. The show itself was shocking and wild! The performers at one point rode motorcycles in a sphere cage, and by the end of the show there were eight or nine people riding around in there! I thought for sure I was about to witness a death. But I didn’t. The performers manipulated death into art in this show.

                This day really offered a taste of Chinese culture and history, but I am looking forward to the whole pie. I’m ready to try new things, explore new ideas, and see what life looks like on this side of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment